Wednesday, May 14, 2008

USAIR TALES #6 KPHL - MKJS Back to my roots...

The funny thing about being a pilot... you travel to so many places, yet it is never a vacation! I was determined to fix that this time... I had some time off coming, and next up on the list was the trip I had been dreaming for... I get to fly N733UW to none other than Montego Bay, Jamaica!



Of course I had to go to Philly first... one of the unfortunate casualties of the KPIT downsizing is that if we want to go anywhere... we have to now fly through one of the hubs. No big deal... more flight hours for me :-) . So with tickets for Jess and Lolo in hand, I had the girls board up, and Barney and I got to work.

At least Lolo gets to see me work.



Flight plan seems pretty straightforward... skirt along the Atlantic seaboard... split off from terra firma around Cape Hatteras, then straight shot over Cuba. Lucky for us Castro is no longer in power... It kinda sucks having to fly around the island like I had to do as a kid on the Kingston to Miami Air Jamaica trips.

One thing is for sure, I am determined NOT to be late... I have a date with the nearest beach and jerk pork salesperson.



Only one thing for it... I am calling in a request for 27L. Of course I still got stuck waiting for various flights to takeoff... but all things considered it would have been a lot better than being number 10 for takeoff.

It's funny, the FAA says there's not enough room in the skies... we need better flight plans... I wonder if it ever occurred to them to look on the ground to see the traffic jams THERE?



Oh well, we are not going to solve the FAA's problems today... Ok Barney, takeoff checklist please... let's get this party started.



Ah yes, wise man once say... journey of a thousand miles begin with first step. Somehow I don't think that wise man ever flew in an Airbus before. As we transition to our climb to cruise, I cannot help but think how lucky I am... I've been saying for years since I got hired by US Air Virtual, that I want to visit my family in Jamaica... it's been too long. Now here I am achieving the dream. Even brought a care package for my uncle, who for some strange reason has come to like the Pittsburgh Steelers. What he's going to do with a sweatshirt on a tropical island is beyond me... but oh well.



Barney confirms everything is set, and ATC has given us vectors to our assigned course. One last check to our newly installed VROUTE system, and we are off to the races. About time I was able to put snow in the rear view mirror, ahhhhh.



Now granted... I could have just taken the weekend and hauled the family to Rehoboth Beach, Delaware... or Atlantic City, NJ... but you got to be thinking... it's the beginning of March... Punxsatawney Phil has already seen his shadow... and the prospect of being a "Polar Bear" does not excite me. They can keep this cold weather... give me warm Negril beaches.



The moon seems to wink at me, as if she is trying to say, this is indeed a lucky trip. Not to mention I get paid for it. N733UW gets some downtime in the tropics before the trip back... and Barney gets to see a new country... unfortunately our flight attendants have to take a different flight home, but I am sure if they could stay they would also.



I often wonder how much differently my life would have turned out had I continued my degree in art, or worse... architecture. Thank goodness I switched to aviation when I did... I'd probably still be in Florida trying to design a Hurricane proof house. Funny how life works out... was not good enough to be in the Navy and be "Maverick"... but good enough to fly this computer with wings. Go figure...



Virginia... I think I can see Newport News from here... you know, I am not sure if that is a regret of mine, not joining the Navy... I might have had a rewarding life had I gotten in. But then again, once upon a time I also wanted to be an organic farmer...



Now that we are at cruise altitude I figured I would take a moment to check on the girls. Mr Barney, it's your airplane.

One of the perks I like about being management is my family flies first class... as this was Lolo's first long flight (her first actual flight was the hop from KPIT to KPHL), I figured I had better make sure she was still breathing normally, and hadn't dug her fingernails into the leather seats.

I often wonder what people think when they see the pilot of the aircraft in the cabin with them talking to passengers... I can only imagine, but judging by the initial looks before I talked to my daughter and wife, I would say they probably had a few hesitant heartbeats there. hahaha...



Lolo seems to be enjoying it so far, along with her virgin Bloody Mary. With a peck on her cheek, and a smackaroo for Jess, I headed back to the office. Good thing Lolo remembered her trusty camera... I am sure there will be plenty of pictures for myspace when we get home.

I couldn't help but notice that the movie for this flight was Transformers... I still have yet to see that. Maybe when we land I'll sit in the plane a couple hours and watch it.

Cancel that... I have a date with the nearest beach.



It suddenly dawned on me this would be the first time I have actually been over the atlantic in my adult life! All my flying career has been domestic flights and the closest I have ever come to what the navy calls "blue water ops" is the occasional vector out from Miami before the turn north. Come to think of it, this is a first for Barney too!



I had asked him before we left KPIT if he had ever been to another country, and his answer was negative... I expect he will be more impressed by Jamaica than I will be... after all I was born there. Of course I have not seen it since 1987... I may be in for a shock to the system myself!



I wish I could wax poetically about my childhood in Jamaica, but to be honest I do not remember much. I guess it is all locked in my subconscious memories. One thing I DO remember is when my father decided to learn how to fly a Cessna, and would take me to Kingston, and on his flights. I would have to say that significant memory has helped forge my career choice. Thanks Dad... this flight is for you.



The Bahamas... the first sign that we have crossed that threshold from the United States to the Caribbean... and with this crossing I can tell you, kind reader, that my excitement level is HIGH! Only one more thing for it... Call Cuba and make sure they are still ok with US Airways flying overland. Maybe I better use my best Jamaican accent.



Well Havana control does not seem to have a problem with us... and Barney seems to be acting like a tourist... peeping out the cockpit windows at the islands below. Hmmmm... just had an odd thought. I wonder if I am forgetting anything.... let's see... stove. Jess turned that off. Rosemarie has the week off... with pay... yup remembered to pay her... Hmmm I don't get it. Oh well... I am sure I will remember later.



Barney asks me, is it true back in the day we had to fly around this island?

Yup... that's how much they hated us. I think it's only been about a decade or less that American aircraft have actually been allowed to flyover, let alone land in Cuba. From what I hear it is a beautiful country... Looks nice from up here anyway. Maybe one day US Air Virtual will have us fly there so I can pick up some cigars...



Speaking of the company... I just remembered all aircraft were fitted with new radios with frequencies for the company channel! I figured I would take this opportunity to talk to some of my fellow pilots in their offices. Looks like Isaac out of KLAS is headed to my neck of the woods with the rest of the money I won in Vegas that one time... Jason appears to be stuck in his land office doing paperwork... and apparently Larry is not feeling so well. I remind Barney to remind me to send Larry a card when we get back. Nick was saying something about wanting to be my copilot... but I told him I'll talk to him when I get home. Can't have Barney getting self conscious now...



THERE IT IS!!! 90 Miles away... Jamaica! Wow, I never thought I would see it again, but there it is looming closer. Time for an announcement...

"Ladies and Gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We are about 90 miles out from Montego Bay, and any moment now we will be getting ready to descend to the island so at this time we would ask that you return to your seats and fasten your seatbelts. We hope you have enjoyed our flight so far, and we should be on the ground in about 20 minutes.



And with that we began our descent. I can almost hear the reggae music already! OOH!!! I wonder if they still have those people playing steel drums at the gate? They must all be what... in their 70s now.



I think I see Montego Bay from here... judging from the local com, sounds like Air Jamaica and American are busy there. Looks like we better ease our way into our landing number here... with only one runway, it's going to get interesting landing us all.



I almost don't remember the parishes of Jamaica... I know Montego Bay is the principal city of St James... but for the life of me I cannot remember if we are flying over Hanover or Westmoreland? I think Hanover. I better check the map real quick.

Barney take over real quick please.. I gotta check something...



HANOVER! I was right... wonderful thing, memories...

What's that Barney? turbulence? Ok I will take over... Hmm that turboprop seems to be a little close too.



Well ATC confirmed my concerns... Air Jamaica Express is taking his own sweet time coming down to runway 7. Given our altitude after that bout of turbulence... I do not feel comfortable about this approach...

Remember that wise man I quoted above? Well his brother... the wise man of pilothood once said... not every approach end in landing.

"Sangster Tower, US Air 921 Alpha is going missed."



That ought to buy the Dash 8 some time to get down and out of our way... we still have some time before we are officially late... so I would rather err on the side of caution here. I was born here... I do not want to die here.



Of course that gives American the chance to get in line for final... so I am sure he will be thanking me at the gate. Besides... I'm not in a rush... I have 4 days here before we head back north.

I wish I knew what it was I forgot... I have checked my list three times now and I cannot think of it for the life of me.



Well there's Negril out there... and some of the best beaches, seafood, and hotels in the Caribbean! Won't be staying there long though... we're going to need to make a stop in Mandeville... my hometown, so I can meet up with my family and give my uncle his sweatshirt. He'll be the talk of the town!



Rwy 7 approach... take two.

Skies are clear, and we are a go to land. I say my goodbyes on the company channel and dial in Sangster Tower once more for the last few miles till touchdown.

Well Barney I hope you got your SPF-30... this is going to be one heck of a 4 day weekend!



Good times... Doesn't look like it's changed much since I was a kid. Still tropical... still full of trees, farms, and shacks. The occasional mansion here and there, but overall looks like Jamaica still retains that look and feel I remember.



From the looks of it, both Air Jamaica Express and American are down... the gorgeous blue water calls to me... man I cannot WAIT to be down there and in it with a Red Stripe in my hand!



As we roll on in, I notice some buildings at the end of the runway.... hmmm those must be new... I do not recall those being there 21 years ago. As long as that pepper shrimp salesperson is out front of the airport as usual... I'll be good!



Finally! With a grin to Barney, I begin the thrust reverser procedure, in prep for taxiing. OMG, I am HOME!



The hotels on the hill still look the same, even if the names are unfamiliar... I can see Montego Bay's market square from here... and with an unabashed glee I announce to our passengers "Welcome to Montego Bay, Jamaica!"



The rest is all anti-climactic... all we have to do is park this baby at the gate... deplane, and head for baggage claim. I thank Barney for another successful flight... a habit I have gotten into with my First Officers. I find it helps to develop the confidence they need to be in the left seat.



I wonder if that's how American does it?



And just like that... we are there. Time to say a temporary goodbye to the family, as I will be meeting them past customs for the drive to the hotel... I thank our flight attendants... who will be sitting here about 6 hours till the other US Air flight shows up to take them back to the USA.

With all the formality out of the way... Barney and I head down the stairs and into customs.



As i put my briefcase down at the desk, the gentleman says to me in a familiar accent I have not heard in ages:

"Good afternoon Captain, can I have your passport please?"

...........





Oh Crap.

Suddenly it dawns on me... it's in my office back in Pittsburgh.

No comments:

Post a Comment