Wednesday, May 14, 2008

USAIR TALES #5 KPIT - KLAS What happens in Vegas...

So I have been driving this desk for a couple weeks now... and even though it has been a steep learning curve, I have to admit, I have taken to it like a duck to water. In that time, my trusty copilot Fred finally got his checkride and promotion, and is now a full fledged A320 captain doing his own routes. As for me... time to get out of the office. I figure I got some money burning a hole in my pocket... time to go to VEGAS!



Flight US439, bright and early in the morning... coffee in my belly, and one of those wonderful steak and cheese omelettes at City of Bridges cafe... well worth the tip, of course.

As I settled in, my new copilot, Barney shows up. A little rough around the edges, he seems a little nervous about this, but I quickly put him at ease... He's got a few cycles with me, then possibly moving on. The key thing I tell him, to remember, is we all started in the right seat... in due time, he will get where I am.



For now we have a busy enough morning at KPIT... lots of active pilots working and we are merely part of the traffic.... I figure I will go ahead and do the takeoff then have Barney show me his stuff afterward for most of the trip. Depending on how he does I may have him do our landing cycle. I kiss my desk goodbye for a few days, and call for pushback.



Ok, looks like we are headed for 28R today... perfect. One thing I enjoy is being able to take off in the general direction I am headed. One curious thing I noted as I was putting together this flight plan, and gathering up my weekend clothes... was how little extra time there is on this flight. Flightplan calls for 4 hours... I figure about 4:20 for passenger loading and so forth, but either way it is going to be tight. What is it about these western flights... I am always late... well I guess I better think positive. At least there is no SNOW.



Nothing coming in, we are good to go... Ok Mr Barney, let's go over the checklist, and get this puppy airborne! Hmm... this guy is good. Well, let's go for it... landing lights on... brakes off... N1 50%... ok punch it.



I am gonna tell yinz something... there is NO greater feeling than the feeling you get after a successful takeoff, positive climb, and you just know this multi-ton aircraft wants to fly so badly that it seems to just take over... You become no longer the pilot... you are going along for the ride! Four hours to go... and I do not mind one bit. Flaps and slats up please Barney... thanks.

Ok so here is the plan. By time we cross the Ohio Indiana border, I am going to need to get on the Airphone... I have a conference call with the other managers... so it will be your aircraft for the bulk of the flight. Any problems, just let me know.

I have to admit, that nervous smile in response... reminds me of me a few years ago. Gotta love new copilots.



Just past West Virginia, and it is time to start the movie. On today's agenda... Pirates of the Caribbean III. Unfortunately I will not be watching... already seen it about 1000 times. It happens when you have a 12 year old girl who thinks Orlando Bloom is hot... I dunno... I don't get it.



Barney it is time. 11:00 EST and time for my conference call... As Tiffany grabs me a coffee, I head to the jumpseat to take the call.



This is neat. I feel like I am a part of a new fraternity... the order of US Airways Virtual management. I am constantly amazed by the breadth and scope of vision that my peers have. There are some really good ideas flowing here, and it just seems like everyone clicks. So much so that I hardly even notice that we are still flying. I guess I can chalk that up to Barney, who despite his butterflies in the stomach, is doing a fantastic job keeping us on course and on schedule.



Fast forward to over Colorado into Utah...

Meeting over with a lot of progress made. So it looks like there are going to be a few changes ahead, as well as streamlining the process... all good mind you, but as a pilot, for me I just see some work coming. One part of which is not enjoyable... I am going to have to let go some inactive pilots. Sad but true... I have to play the heavy along with the rest of management... but thankfully our pilots have till February 29th to respond to us and gauge interest... on March 1, the guillotine falls.



Well no time to worry about that yet... the time has not come. For now, I revel in the beauty that is this country. One thing I enjoy about flying west is the Rockies, that great divider of midwest and true west, and absolutely the most impressive natural feature of this great land... and ahead lays the city of sin... Las Vegas... with money burning a hole in my pocket I cannot WAIT to get past the gate.



Initial Approach...

So far it has been a great flight... largely uneventful thus far, and Barney is doing a good job as Fred's replacement. It is decision time... I can take over and handle us all the way in, or I can give him a pop quiz and see how he does.........

hmmmmm....

I choose... B

Ok Fred... err... I mean Barney... sorry about that. You have read the manuals... your files say you were top of the class in the simulator... let's see what you can do. Consider me safety pilot for the ride down, but it is your plane.

The look on his face.... was priceless.



If anything this will give me some time to break out the old Kodak and grab some pix of the Grand Canyon. See the problem with being a manager is in addition to being called to duty on matters of the common good, I also have to make sure I keep my hours up. Not a problem for me, but it does cramp my style when I just want to sightsee in areas I have never been.



Hmmmm... well first thing I notice... we're going way too fast to be on approach. Not to mention our flaps are still up, and we are not even remotely lined up for the approach to 25R. Ok... what do I do... do I tell him and have him correct it toute suite (very quickly), or hope he catches himself? 124 lives on the line.. I opt for the former.

He's young... he'll get it... but at least he knows how to listen.

I make the call to the tower that we are on final...



Ok well anytime now you may want to lower the gear and slow us down... unless you are planning on landing in the strip itself.

He gives me possibly the most heartfelt sorry I have ever heard... but I tell him... sorry don't pay the rent. I flash him a smile to make him know... he's doing fine, stop doubting himself.



Gear down... speed down... flaps down... lights on... Ok so far so good... you sure you can handle this, or do you want me to take over?

A reassuring yes from my new copilot puts me in the mode of mentally counting my money in preparation for the blackjack tables tonight.

Jess would kill me if she knew....



But as they say.... What happens in Vegas...


Stays in Vegas...



My God... right on the centerline... this guy is GOOD!!! Considering he hand flew it the last 500 feet. I think I have found myself a worthy grasshopper to mold to his future left seat! Ok Barney, when we arrive, I dunno what you are doing tonight, but if you meet me at MGM Grand... first round is on me... well we have to get it early in the evening... can't be drunk for tomorrow's flight to Frisco. Or maybe I'll just buy you a latte at Starbucks... yeah... probably safer that way.



I think I shall have to get used to Barney's nervous laughter... granted it is his first time paired with a captain... let alone his boss. I can understand where he is coming from, after all that is how I started out.

Umm Barney... you MAY want to bring the flaps back up. We are off the runway now.



Gate 1. Scene of the landing... and 124 satisfied customers waiting for the door to open.. and one tired manager who is waiting to be let loose in the MGM Grand.

Umm hold on a second... phone call.



Hey Jess...

Yeah... just got to Vegas...

Umm.. no I do not know what happened to the money in the safe deposit box...

Yeah... I'm finding it a little hard to hear you right now...

I think the avionics are causing interference...

Yeah I'll call you later! I love you!




I turn to Barney...

What happens in Vegas.. stays in Vegas.

No comments:

Post a Comment