Wednesday, May 14, 2008

USAIR TALES #4 KCLT - KPIT Your mission, should you accept it...

It had been a week since I had heard from HR...

In that time I had managed to rack up quite a few hours, get my checks for the A320 family of aircraft done, and even somehow managed to fit in a quick weekend to Myrtle Beach in there somewhere. As I checked my schedule, I noticed next up was a trip home... to Pittsburgh. Cool! Bout time I got back home, the cats have probably mutinied now, and I am sure my daughter, Lolo no longer recognizes me.



No matter, as I was listening to the ATIS report, all I could think of was getting home. Fred seemed a little excited as well, but then a few more flight cycles and he would be well on his way to the left seat of a new plane. I have to say I am proud of him, he's a quick study, even if his attitude is a little rough around the edges...



We all have to pay our dues I guess...

As we got our clearance to the active runway, I decided to tape a picture of my two girls up on the panel. There you can see Lolo in front, and her mommy Jess in the back. I call it my motivation picture, haha. The life of an airline pilot is one fraught with absences, sometimes I get home and my home feels like a hotel I merely stay in for a few days before jetting off to the next destination.



Were it not for our housekeeper, I think my household would have fallen apart already, though I do have to admit, being away from my daughter does take a toll on our relationship... Rosemarie is a real gem, not sure what I would do without her. I have to remind myself when I get back to work with her on getting her citizenship. Gotta help a fellow yardie (Jamaican) out...



Ok, switch to Charlotte Departure, and time to head north... I think I am going to miss Charlotte. My hub bid is in, and in only a matter of time, I will be closer to home... KPIT.

I decided I need to be closer to home... I dunno, my conscience I guess is nagging me, either that or I miss the Pittsburgh grey skies... who knows. I will say this... nothing is better at honing your IFR skills like a dreary grey approach. According to METARs looks like I will NOT be disappointed today.



With a nod I waved Charlotte goodbye... for now.

I was talking recently with a fellow CLT airbus pilot, who was continuing my education on my aircraft. Unfortunately in the midsts of company changes, we had to cancel our classes for now. Shame too, he was teaching me the intricacies of FLEX Temp... Hopefully if either he comes by Pittsburgh, or I come back down here he can continue his educating me. One can never learn enough, as far as I am concerned.



One thing that never ceases to amaze me is just how gorgeous this country really is. Take for example Lake Norman... where I have spent many a lazy afternoon bass fishing. From the ground it is so tranquil in some spots, from the air, even more breathtaking... except... I cannot fish from 12000 feet. Well, not with this rod and reel anyway.



As I grasped onto my Charlotte memories Fred decides to tap me on the shoulder, and pointed out the port side cockpit window... What the heck?!?!

Am I seeing right? American and Delta formation flying? That is SOOO not safe! Someone will be losing their job over that one.



As soon as we hit cruise altitude, I handed the reigns, and the autopilot over to Fred, so that I could confer with our hostess, Tiffany about Lolo's gift.

She's going to love it! Before I left I contacted a bulldog breeder in North Florida who was able to send to me a puppy for my little animal lover. Cutest little thing, just old enough to be away from his mommy, even if he was a little scared about being on US1956 to KPIT. I figure this peace offering will help cement my relationship with the daughter I hardly get to see.



I had decided to name him Big Ben, after one of my favorite Steeler players, but I am sure Lolo will have a different idea for his name... so I am not getting too used to calling him that. Well he seems ok for this trip, so I left him in Tiffany's care and headed back to the cockpit.



Ahhh Pennsylvania... how I have missed you... again...

Good to see METARs were right as always... nothing but grey from here on in, and looks like fresh snow for me to shovel out of the walkways around my house. I think I should be one of those snowbirds... with a second house in say Florida or someplace. Oh well, one day.

Ok time to get to work.



There it is... PITTZ waypoint... and in the distance the downtown skyline and the three rivers gently huddled in a blanket of low lying clouds. The FAA calls this Instrument Meteorological Conditions... IMC... If there was ever a true thrill ride, this is it... relying on this several ton computer to get you, 124 souls, and a cadre of flight crew to the right spot, SAFELY.

Don't get me wrong... I have no doubts with Airbus, but no matter how many times I fly it... it never ceases to cause a little heartrate increase.



The most beautiful sight in the world... the Golden Triangle, heart center of downtown Pittsburgh, cradled by the Allegheny and the Monongahela rivers, with the Ohio river leading the way. If there was ever a sight that definitively says "I'm home"... this is it.

Gear out... Flaps to FULL... speed check... hmm... looks like we've got a slight crosswind here...



At least the clouds are pretty well defined... I won't be flying down to minimums after all. Though I will need to take over manually for the short final... that wind is going to do a number on my autopilot...

I winked at Fred... here comes the fun part.



Ok everything is set... in about 30 minutes I will be home, hugging my daughter and my wife... heck even the housekeeper. Then we will introduce the cats to their new roommate Big Ben. But first... I gotta land this sucker.



Good thing that pilot in CLT went over his crosswind landing experiences with me... he gave me a few good tips to improve my abilities. Now it is time to see if those tips paid off. Cleared to land runway 28L...



Hmm a little high... cut it back some Fred... ok... ok nice and easy, plenty of room. GPWS is doing its usual countdown, one of these days I am going to ask that they change the voice pack in it... I still feel a little unsettled everytime it calls me a retard hahahaha. Just kidding. I know it means to cut throttle to idle. Can't help but wonder though...



and.... Kiss....

Perfect! What a homecoming!

All that's left is to pull up to the gate and do my paperwork then it is homeward bound for this Aviator.



I honestly never thought I would be glad to see these drab grey skies again... something about it makes me feel so at home... even if I do need some sun once in a while... I am starting to turn a milk chocolate color... that's pretty light for me!



I shook Fred's hand and as I got up to get my coat, Tiffany informs me that the Eastern OPS VP is on the phone for me... hmm... should I be worried?

Tentatively I take the phone...

"Yes sir, what can I do for you?"

"Uh huh... yes I still have not heard from HR yet..."

"Actually yes I just pulled up at KPIT right now, yeah I have a little time..."

"Ok I will meet you there, see you in about 5 minutes then. Ok Sir.. bye"

Hmmm... meeting in the US Air offices. This should be interesting...



So there I am, in this office with my flight bag, a pet carrier, my coat and my paperwork from HR... standing there with my jaw dropped.

I just shook the man's hand but it took me a little while for it to actually sink in...

He said- my mission, should I choose to accept it... is to takeover here at KPIT as the station manager! I would start on monday morning, and this would be not only my domicile, but my responsibility!

Ummm....... YES! I ACCEPT!!!

I cannot wait to get home now!

No comments:

Post a Comment