Wednesday, May 14, 2008

USAIR TALES #3 KCLT - KDCA Paging the Michelin man...

Lunch was great, by the way, thanks for asking...

The moment I got back to the plane Fred had some somewhat disturbing news... our right main gear tires were looking a little low. I was not sure if that was from the last few legs, or if we ran over some debris either taking off from Denver or landing here in Charlotte, but whatever the case... they needed a refill.



I made mention of it to the ground crew and they hopped right on it. I got word that the pressure should be ok for the flight but when we get to DC we are probably going to want to have them check it out. For now, tickets were booked, and people needed to get to DC this evening. Flight US1768 was on schedule and off to the races.



As Fred did a silent prayer to the patron saint of intact tires, I called for the pushback. I'm sure Jessica was probably waving to me from the atrium in between terminals B and C, as she got ready to get to work on her own flight attendant duties with Delta, and I let her know I would see her in Pittsburgh in a few days... God willing and the creek don't rise.



Back to RWY 5... only this time no traffic to speak of, save for a King Air bound for the coast. Considering how the morning went, I breathed a sigh of relief that there was no conga line, then proceeded to do my takeoff checks.



As we got our clearance to takeoff, and I motioned us onto the active, I had this feeling that the starboard side felt a little mushy. I hope to God the crew put enough air in those tires. Wouldn't be that bad if we had double bogies... but one has me doing the what if scenario...



Well, no telltale pull to the right... it's hard to describe though, feels a little, pardon the pun, rubbery to me. A little bumpier than normal...



Well with Charlotte in the "rearview mirror", not much I can do about it right now. A better question would be how quickly I can get us to altitude so that the flight crew can get service done in time... why they call for food and drinks on a short hop like this is beyond me. I'll have to talk to logistics later about it. Seems like a waste of money to me.



Right, cruise altitude FL210... this should do, seatbelt sign off... I ask Fred to keep an eye on things while I do my paperwork a little from the previous trip.



In all it's been an interesting weekend... From Friday's snow laden trip from Minneapolis to our hub in Charlotte, to the hop to Pittsburgh, giving me just enough time to check in on the cats, and the house sitter... to the evening expedition to Denver, then back to Charlotte this morning, I must say I will be one tired puppy by time we land at Reagan.



The funny thing about plane rides... it seems as soon as they start, they are over... of course a short hop like this does not help either... Fred calls for the attendants to secure the cabin, and we begin our descent.



The big question on my mind... are these tires going to hold, or are we going to be doing the sideways boogie into the river? One thing is certain... this aircraft goes nowhere after tonight until someone pages the Michelin man and gets him out to DCA with bells on.



Fred sets us up on final... I figure I will let him do some of the work today as he is getting up there in cycles and hours, and facing the left seat sometime soon... besides, it gives me more time to worry. It's what I do best I'm afraid.



We've got the all clear... time to bring old betsy down... I wish there was a way I could see the wheels...



The tower cannot help much either. At this angle they would not be able to see if I had a bum tire... but they will surely know if we go skating down runway 1!!!



You want to know what the most beautiful sound in the world is? the unmistakeable "chirp" that means your nice fat tires are on the ground. A lot better than the alternative let me tell you!



Still feels a little wonky to me though, but we made it. All that's left to do is to park this sucker.



It dawns on me that Reagan is quiet this evening... probably just as well, since we may be needing their facilities in the near future.



With a sigh of relief I pull up to the gate, and get the signal to stop and power down. It's gonna take us a couple minutes to close up shop, but I am dying to see what is going on under that starboard side there... after these passengers leave, that is.



SWEET MOTHER OF PEARL!!!

As I look over the right gear with the ground crew I am shocked and amazed... it looks like as we were taking off from Charlotte a good sized strip of tire peeled off leaving the inner rubber and what was left of the steel belt! How this thing managed to stay intact is beyond me! Yup, no two ways about it.... I'm spending the night in DC.



I thank Fred's patron saint of intact tires... and grab my bag for a stay at the hotel tonight... They say luck favors the prepared...

I always did like DC at night...

No comments:

Post a Comment